Followers

Sunday, January 27, 2013

The joy of Selling a House & Moving

So at the end of October we put our house on the market. This was not something that we really had planned on doing this last year but we had an opportunity arise that we couldn't pass up. We currently are living in a story and a half farmhouse on a six acres hobby farm. The opportunity that we were presented with was to move to a two story farmhouse on 20 acres out of a 75 acre farm. Since the owner of the other 55 acres when our 20 is taken out, is a friend of ours that my husband farms for, it will feel like we own the whole 75. It is a beautiful property that contains a woods and has river frontage on the north side of the property.

So because of all this we are currently on the market. Then shortly after we put our house on the market we received an offer that we accepted.  So we have an accepted offer but I am not necessarily excited about it. The hitch is... the offer is contingent on the sale of their house.  Their house has been on the market since March. Because of this we have continued to have our house on the market. We went for two months with not a single person coming through the house and then we took off. In the last month and a half we have had a showing about once a week. So that is good that we have had interest but no offer so far.

So here we sit in a holding pattern and let me tell you with two kids under the age of 5, keeping the house clean and ready to show at anytime can be a challenge. Also being in this holding pattern brings up another problem in my life. This problem is called to pack our not to pack! When we first put the house on the market I packed up a bunch of stuff and we took it over to the new house to store. But since then I don't know whether I should be packing our not.  Part of me feels like I should be packing some but what do I do with it? Do I just push it up against the wall and still show the house with boxes all over, or do we move it to the new house? The problem with moving it to the new house is 1. what about if we can't move to the new house, then we would have to move it all back, 2. once we are in the new house we are planning to do a bunch of remodeling and 3. why is it when I do pack stuff up and move it to the new house that is when I seem to need it. How crazy is that?

So here we sit with people coming through our house off and on and me trying to keep up with everything and keep the house presentable.

No comments:

Post a Comment